Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Knitting Weather?

I can't tell if it's Spring or not. Weather in Indiana is crazy during a "normal" year- we can have Summer in February or snow in May and most Hoosiers just shrug and add/remove a layer.


This year has been unseasonably warm and extra unusual, even for Indiana. My daffodils bloomed the first week of February, and crocuses after that. Those have come and gone and the tulips are on the way out. In late January, I was going to rugby practice in a T-shirt and shorts. I'm sure that we're going to pay for this prematurely wonderful weather sometime, but until then I'm just going to enjoy it.


I'm absolutely loving my warm evenings, sitting on the back porch, knitting with my glass of Chardonnay. I'm just having a hard time deciding what it is I should be knitting. Not having a winter has really messed with my knitting- I only managed to sneak in one cardigan this year before the weather changed in to what is clearly NOT sweater-knitting weather. I am one of those year-round fiber crafters, I just move my crafting outside when the weather is pleasant and opt for smaller projects on light weight yarns. But as I sit outside and listen to the birds chirp while my needles are clicking away on my new deep red lace tablecloth that *fingers crossed* I'd like to put in the State Fair, I can't help but feel a little remorse for the winter sweater that wasn't.


So I will share my musings and ideas for warm weather knitting with you with a few little tidbits from the Alpaca With A Twist office.


Elizabeth Zimmerman thought that Summer was the perfect time to make mittens. Come to think of it, she had a point- you aren't rushing to get mittens done in May when the weather is warm. Knit or crochet that extra inch to keep your wrists warm, add a cable motif- take your time. May I suggest the Chinook Mittens knitted in Baby Twist? The Mojito Mittens in (surprise!) Mojito? Bella's Mittens in Big Baby? (Those would go really fast!) There are also some fantastic fingering-weight glove ideas out there- and Socrates is always a favorite of mine. If you were wanting to try out some of our limited-edition kettle dyed colors, we've still got a few hanks of the blue hanging around, as well as 4 hanks of our very first limited-edition Socrates, Fruit Smoothie.


I am a Summer sock knitter. And the heathered shades of Socrates are my favorites- they add depth to a project without overwhelming the lace or cabled pattern like some hand-dyed colors might. There's also thousands of lace patterns made for fingering weight yarns if you're wanting to try a tangy project but aren't as comfortable knitting with lace-weight.


And there's always lace! If you are a lace knitter, then you will love our five new colors of Fino. If you aren't a lace knitter (or crocheter) then what's holding you back? We have a really awesome intro to lace course that's a hefty packet loaded with tips on everything from life-lines to blocking. It even comes with a pattern for a sampler scarf that will gently introduce you to the wonderful world of lace.


If you would like to share your thoughts on fiber crafting through the seasons, have questions about anything mentioned here or want to share a project, let us know! We're all ears for our friends. Shoot me a message at paige@alpacawithatwist.com and I'd love to hear what you have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment