Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Just for the Fun of It!

This spring I bought The Knitter's Life List (author Gwen Steege) for myself and a friend.  The book has been out for a couple of years and it always intrigued me.  I just never took the time to buy it, let alone read it.  The book is full of tips and techniques, styles and traditions, suggested yarn fibers to try, famous knitting personalities and 1001 inspirations for every knitter.  So if you need a summer read, this one will keep you up until dark (and that's saying something here in Indiana)!

Summer knitting often involves smaller projects that can be toted about in our beach bags, suitcases and handbags.  Like you I have done more than my share of knitting socks, scarves and hats to amuse myself on long car drives and air flights. 
There's something empowering, I think, to be  working on my Christmas gift giving list during the summer months.  (Let's be honest here.  I never am finished with my ever growing list until the final hours.  It's a goal, that's all.) 

Knitted toys are perfect knits for the warmer months and there are so many wonderful patterns and unusual ideas that one can hardly imagine what to pick up first. 
I think they have become so widely popular due to the number of clever designers and wonderful creations they have shared. 
Even though they might be small in size, quite often there are a variety of techniques in knitting them and that keeps one interested.
Not only can you brush up on your knit skills, you will be creating a little masterpiece to share with a child who will love the fiber thin and threadbare.  What better compliment to each of us!

You might knit a super hero or a beautiful doll.  You might design a monster (and you all know there's a great little contest going on for that).  You might knit animals for a baby shower gift or even finger puppets.  One thing is for sure, bet you won't knit just one because every child in your life will be standing in line for their own little creation. 

So what does all this have to do with The Knitter's Life List?  Actually knitting Just for the Fun of It is one chapter in the book and I concur, sometimes you do things just because it's fun and it makes someone smile.  So how is your monster coming along, anyway?

*Follow Alpaca With A Twist on Facebook for updates about the contest and remember Big Baby is available at your LYS!  Good luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment